Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I like lists ;)

Hey Inkbots,


I don't know what it is, but there  are certain books that you just know you're going to love. This past week I was given "Return of The Dapper Men," and just by looking at it I can tell that it's going to be one of my favorite books of all time.  


So, since i'm on the subject of favorite books (particularly comics), I figured this would be a good time to show you a list of my top 20 favorite graphic novels of all time (in no specific order).


1. Watchmen- this book is so popular it will be considered cliche to have it as part of my list...Oh Well ;)


2. Silver Surfer, In thy name- Don't be fooled by the fact that it's a Silver Surfer story. This book is brilliant.


3. Silver Surfer, Requiem- I told you not to be fooled. Stories such as this, and the one above, taught me that there is no such thing as a bad character. 


4. The Spirt- Darywn Cooke's run- If you like The Spirit, Gumshoe Noir narratives, Darwyn Cooke, or you're just a fan of amazing storytelling, this is the book for you.


5.Detective Comics, heart of hush (Paul Dini)- turned a fairly one dimensional villain into an epic Batman rogue. 


6.V for Vendetta- despite it being written in two different phases of his life, this is one of Alan Moore's best.


7. Persepolis- is Marjane Satrapi's masterpiece about religious extremism and the fight for personal expression. This was also turned into an amazing animated film. 


8. La Perdida- Jessica Abel's incredible tale about an American female expatriot who tries to find herself in Mexico City. 


9. Oz, book 1- Marvel's adaption of the classic children's story is nothing short of extraordinary. .


10. I kill Giants- One of the greatest stories I have ever had the privilege of reading, hands down. 


11. Neil Gailman's Sandman- like Watchmen, its cliche for a reason ;)


12. Superman, What ever happened to the man of tomorrow- A great Superman story which effectively discusses the relationship between Superman and those who are close to him.


13. Justice League, The New Frontier- much like the title above, this is an amazing "What If" story which also manages to put the magnifying glass on some my favorite DC characters. 


14. Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol- this book taught me the possibilities of what can be done with brilliant storytelling and and pure off the wall originality. 


15. All Star Superman- what more can be said about this book that hasn't already been said. Simply put, its a modern day masterpiece.


16. Daredevil, Frank Miller's run- this run is directly responsible for me wanting to become a creator. 


17. Maus- this was one of the first books to show me just how powerful this medium can be, if used correctly.


18. Preacher, Book 2,- great writing, ridiculously clever dialogue, and a great ending.


19. Sin City- like The Spirit, it has all the ingredients that make this medium great and sexy ;)


20. Return of The Dapper Men- what I told you. I would simply hate myself if, in the future, for not trusting my instincts and putting it on this list. 


I would love to know all of your personal favorites. So hit me up via forums, email, or facebook ;P



No comments:

Post a Comment