Sunday, August 29, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are, Inkbot round table, Comics going mainstream, and Boxing

Hey Inkbots,


I apologize for not posting this yesterday, but the Mrs. and I got home a little bit past our bedtime this morning (yikes). Now, before you start speculating about what we were doing let me just say that ITS PROBABLY ALL TRUE!!. No, the reason why were up so late was because we were having a meeting with the rest of the Inkbot crew. Okay, so what was this meeting about? Well...we talked about several new things that we can try with the site to make it more innovative and interactive, we talked about all the goodies we're going to have at our table at the NY Comic Con, and we talked about the potential debut of two new series here on the site (more info coming soon). So, with that noted, what did we talk about? WE TALKED ABOUT WAYS TO MAKE YOU HAPPY!!! ;)


Although this wasn't necessarily discussed yesterday, one of the subjects that gets brought up regularly, whenever several comic professionals get together, is whether the mainstream exposure that comic books is currently enjoying a good thing? Is it fair that a large portion of the exhibitors at the NY Comic Con are vaguely if not at all connected to comics (most of them are promotional tables for television networks, cable shows, non-comic related movies and video games)? Well, the way I see it, any type of exposure, whether mainstream or independent, is a good thing. If someone goes to the con just to see a handful of move/television actors or to play the many video game demos that are available, then so be it. At the end of the day we shouldn't criticize whatever brings them to the dance, we should work hard to make sure that our industry is what made the event memorable for them. So, if you see someone at the con who doesn't know who Hellboy is, don't make them feel alienated, walk on over and talk to them, share a comic with them, hell, do whatever it takes to make sure that they leave with an understanding of what this beautiful medium is about. ;)


It's funny because when I was a kid my mother used to buy so many books that I used to use them as props for my daily make-believe adventures. However, there was this one book that I refused to use as anything but a steering wheel (what, did you think it would be excluded from my adventures), and that book was Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are. For some reason this book's illustration just captured my imagination. I was only four years old when I owned it, so my reading skills were non-existent (makes you wonder why Ma brought me so many books). Still, the pictures in this book helped take me to a place that I thought only existed in cartoons, and for that I will always have a soft spot for it, as well as the dark, probably too deep for most kids movie. ;)


Boxing: Ahh Mr. James Toney, I knew you were making a mistake when you not only decided to step into the world of MMA, but decided to do it against one of their all time greats Randy "The Natural" Couture. Tsk Tsk...you should have known better James. Boxing and Mixed Martial Arts are two different sports. For one thing, in MMA, the two best usually fight each other (here's looking at you Mayweather and Pacquiao). Still, you do deserve some credit for trying to challenge yourself, but...could you have at least came in shape (I know, I know, I'm asking for too much).


Well with that said, I hope you guys enjoyed chatting with me today (I have voices in my head), I hope you all have a great weekend (whatever's left of it), and I hope you guys keep reading, stay safe, and try not to suck! ;P

No comments:

Post a Comment