Thursday, November 25, 2010

short but sweet (Happy Turkey Day)

Hey Inkbots,


Over the weekend I will be posting a longer, more extensive, blog, but right now I just want to share a moment with you guys and then wish you all the best ;)


Over the summer I had the privilege to visit one of the most historical sights in Mexico, Chichen Itza. It was a wonderful trip and a remarkable experience but ironically the bus trip to the historical site had more of a profound impact on me than anything else throughout the course of the trip. You see what I saw,as we made our way through the many unpaved dirt roads that outline the hilly terrain of the region, was a large shanty village in which shoe-less children were playing with tires and uninspired adults were trying their best to sell their artwork, and really anything else that an eager American tourist might purchase. Still, despite this depressing site, what was more alarming was not the fact that my lavish, almost unapologetic tour bus was making its way through this poverty stricken village but that most of the tourists on the bus refused to even look out their window. That's right, it was almost as if they felt that this slice of reality was too real for their fantasy adventure, which, in my view, is a real shame. You see when I was young, my father, who as an educated man came to this country to pick lemons, taught me that I should be grateful for what I have because many people died, and continue to die for many of the luxuries that we as Americans take for granted. So, am I saying that these tourist should have stopped the bus and gave their wallets to all of the villagers, of course not. The systematic break down of a people cannot be repaired with a simple gesture of pity or even kindness, but what they could have done is at least turn around. Yes, by choosing not to ignore the reality of the situation outside of their window they could've at least chosen to acknowledge that although they have most certainly worked hard to get to where they are at in life, many generations of people have lost their lives and their freedom to make sure that the all of the efforts made by these tourist. in their professional lives, were not made in vain. With that said I hope you all enjoy this holiday with your families and may you understand, as hard as it to admit, that in a lot of way we are very lucky. 


Peace  

No comments:

Post a Comment