Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Embarrassing Stories and Random thoughts

Hey Inkbots,

I hope you all enjoyed your Halloween weekend. Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year but sometimes it has also been my most embarrassing.

Embarrassing Halloween part 1:
My wife almost pissed her pants when I told her this story so I figured I’d share it with you guys. About twenty years ago I was poorer than I am now (not by much, but still poorer). My mother had to work two jobs at two different factories to pay the bills and when it came time for Halloween she of course had to look for what was on sale. Well, luckily her favorite store at the time, TJ Maxx, was selling cheap Halloween costumes at a cheaper price (think about that one for a second). So, she didn’t have to travel far for a costume, but, she did have to wait a while. Why? Well, considering that all the costumes were as bargain basement as you can get (practically a few inches above hell), and that they were being sold at a store that normally doesn’t sell cool things for kids (aside for 5 hour videos of Warner Bros extensive library of racist but sometimes funny cartoons), the makeshift costume area of the store was a cluttered mess, AND I was determined to find my Batman costume (from the first Tim Burton Film for those who care to know). Unfortunately for me it just wasn’t meant to be (my childhood nursery rhyme) because within a few minute my normally ill tempered mother grew even more restless with what she considered to be my clear inability to pick out a costume.  So, what happened? Well, what do you think; she picked out a costume for me. And now, many years later, my wife is laughing her ass off to a picture of me wearing a plastic Sailor Kermit costume with A LIONS HEAD for a mask (I wish I was making this up). So there you have it ladies and germs, whenever you see a kid trick or treating with no costume don’t make them feel bad (because they’re probably dirt poor) ,but if you see a kid with a non-matching costume then please, PLEASE, laugh at them all you want as they might grow up to manage a successful blog someday ;)

Embarrassing not really a Halloween story, but it involves a mask so screw you part 2:
I always pop and shake my head whenever I see a brutally honest little kid because it reminds of one my worst/best memories as a kid, the day I shattered my little brother’s dreams (its even worse than it sounds).

It was my little step brother’s maybe sixth birthday (he’s now the size of the incredible Hulk btw) and he was eager to show off his brand new ninja mask. You see at the time not only were Halloween costumes considered to be a luxury that we sometimes couldn’t afford, but gifts in general were too.  So anyway, here I come, equally eager, to begin my weekly weekend visit with my father’s side of the family when Chino (our nickname for him) runs up to me and says “bro, you’ll never guess what my mom got me for my birthday…..(the inevitable what)….a ninja mask.” “Oh shit, really (yes we knew how to curse), well let me see it.” Chino takes me upstairs to the second floor of the abandoned house I called my second home (I swear, it really was abandoned) and shows me…a ski mask. Yes, ladies and germs, my brother thought that he have been given a rare ninja mask for his birthday when in actuality he had been given a typical Newark, NJ ski mask (an inside joke for those who know about my native city). So, what was a big brother to do, should I allow him to parade around in his ski mask thinking that he might be mistakenly taken for the Panamanian Shinobi, of course not, so I did what all asshole big brothers do, I shattered his dreams. “Dude, are you a fucking idiot, that’s like a three dollar ski mask. They sell that shit at the bodega down the street.” Well, needless to say my brother and I haven’t spoken since….no I’m just joking. But he WAS pretty broken up about it, that is until my step mom felt so bad that she ran out at got him something better ;)

Random thoughts:
Revolvers: I hope you guys checked out the amazing finale to Revolvers second issue. I never get tired of saying just how hard working those guys up at up comics are and just how much of an important part they are of the Inkbot family (as you are my fellow Inkbots).

Allen Shrugged: I will go on the record and say that this week’s Allen Shrugged Monday strip was the best that I’ve seen from the series thus far. I believe that anyone who has been to New York or has simply ridden a train will appreciate its remarkable simplicity. So please, if you haven't already, I strongly urge that you check it out.

Odessa: I want to say thank you again to everyone who check out the fourth Issue of Odessa. We are only one issue away from finishing the arc and I gotta tell you IT’S BEEN ONE HELL OF A RIDE!

Zomboy: I’m really amped up for the second issue of Zomboy, which debuts in two weeks. It is told in a quicker pace than the first, but it still retains its bleak psychologically disturbing undertone, which I enjoy very much.

Next Blog: This Friday I’m going to talk about the infamous Mark Waid “web comic speech,” which he gave a few months ago. So be sure to tune in when I give my two cents, as a web comic creator, about what was said, the future of web comics, and whether it is or isn’t detrimental to the comic industry at large (btw, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what I’m going to say about this matter, but you might be entertained to read about it anyway).

With that, I hope you all have a mildly interesting week and I hope you all have a chance to check out the rally to restore sanity. Peace!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment